Sunday, October 14, 2007

Africa. (!)

Nairobi, Kenya - Okay, I have been up for 30.5 straight hours (discounting the 10-minute catnap I got on the plane), of which I’ve been traveling for more than 26 of those hours. But I’m here on the other side of the world, landing in Nairobi a few hours ago and then having to negotiate with an Air Kenya representative for the tickets we need to fly to Kisumu tomorrow morning. Yes, tickets we had already booked while back in Canada.

As we passed over the equator around 18:30 local time, the sun was setting with ruby reds atop brushed cotton clouds. It was a pretty sight. Unfortunately, the clouds thickened as we descended into Nairobi, greatly reducing visibility. The first thing I noticed about flying over Kenya was how dark much of it is – unlike many of the other places you travel, this country does not appear like a Lite Brite from the sky at night. Upon touchdown, a single thought popped into my head: “Omigod. I. Am. In. Africa.”

But, it’s 21:45 here and I have to be up at 5:00 to catch our flight at 8:00 tomorrow morning, so even the much sought-after Tusker will have to wait. Timely enough, too, because I just about lost electric power for the second time in ten minutes.

No comments: