Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 29: Holding Pattern.

Kigali, Rwanda – I’m sitting alone on a patio overlooking the capital city and the heavy rains have ceased, leaving a perfect rainbow arched over the homes that line Kigali’s hills.

It reminds me of the holding pattern you find on television, which is appropriate given that updates to this blog will be on hiatus until I return to Kitabi, hopefully on Friday. Tomorrow, we leave at 4 a.m. for Parc National des Volcans, where we will make an early-morning ascent into the volcanoes to track mountain gorillas.

Stay lower than the silverback, I’ve been told.

From there, we’ll return to Kigali, then proceed to Akagera National Park to commune with the giraffes, baboons and hippos on Thursday.

But looking out as the sun sets over Kigali – not rosy, but white illuminating the rounded clouds that stand high across the whole sky – I can’t help but marvel at how cool this is.

Updates to follow.

No comments: