Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day Seven: Hallelujah!

Cyangugu, Rwanda – This morning, I had one of my favourite memories of the trip so far, though it was actually something I didn’t even get to see.

I was sitting in a planning meeting about finance, IT and communications at KCCEM when I was awoken from my reverie by the sound of drums and a large crowd singing. Women ululated and the preacher’s cries of “Hallelujah” were answered in chorus. Rwanda is 95 per cent Catholic and this is, of course, Sunday.

While I’m not religious myself, I was disappointed to not have the opportunity to head down the street to steal a peak at this service people were investing themselves in so much, and no doubt completely enjoying. It went on all morning, with brief moments of quiet as the preacher addressed the congregation. Another series of Hallelujahs and the air was once again punctuated by the deep tenor of drums and joyous song.

Naturally, I also found it quite comical the service was being held in what is otherwise a bar.

No comments: