Monday, January 12, 2009

Welcome to Kigali.

Kigali, Rwanda - I’m here. Sure, it has taken me 37 hours door-to-door, with 17 hours on airplanes and a total of approximately 90 minutes-worth of naps over the past 53 hours, but I am back in Africa, and in Rwanda for the first time. If only I could say the same for my luggage, but who am I be kidding?

We flew overnight from Amsterdam, so there was little to see, despite it being a clear night. Still, though, the Nile stood out like a giant ink spill seeping into tissue paper, and the stars seemed to provide a mirror reflection of some of the continent’s larger cities. Come daybreak, though, the pastels rose from Kenya’s horizon like a dust storm, parting the blackness from the centre. Like all sunrises I’ve seen from the air, it was gorgeous.

And now that I am here, I am surrounded by a beauty that isn’t easily described by words, much like love.

No comments: